Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Buy some hummus from us...


That was going to be the slogan for Sandy's booth at the Vicksburg Farmers' Market.  Alas, poor Sandy is traveling the world right now (Australia, then India--or is it Indonesia?)  

Anyway, on an unrelated note, I was craving hummus last night so we had Mediterranean Night on National Street.  I'm happy to report that the baba ghanouj (using eggplant from our garden) turned out great.  That was a first.  The hummus was "as usual," but I was unhappy.  My hummus is always much more like chick pea paste than like that good, creamy hummus you get in restaurants.  At dinner I decided I'd call Lebanon's Cafe in New Orleans for advice, but Ned convinced me that they probably wouldn't give up their recipe.  Luckily, a quick Google search has solved the problem.  Check out the solution here:  you must first whip the tahini with the lemon juice to form a creamy base and then add in the chick peas.  The order of ingredients makes a world of difference!  (Hummus pictured above not served at our dinner table last night, but it will be next time.)

I momentarily considered keeping this "order of ingredients" secret to myself and then impressing all our friends at dinner parties, but why be selfish?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think and who you are...