Monday, January 21, 2008

Outer Banks: Day Three



Today Ned worked, from about 10 a.m. until late afternoon. I explored on my own, enjoyed a few hours in a coffee shop and local bookstore, and came home for an early nap. This life of leisure will not continue tomorrow, as I'll have to work (today I had the holiday). After his work, Ned came out with me to see the highlights of my exploration: another beautiful lighthouse, the northern section of the Outer Banks, a fenced area where wild horses roam (though we saw none), and a drive-by of a new Harris Teeter grocery store that I'm dying to try out (I know, I know...beach development=BAD, but I make exceptions for a Harris Teeter). This evening was one of good conversation, cold beer, and fabulous hamburgers from a local chain called Five Guys. We were going to go to the Dairy Queen, where they had a 2-for-1 Blizzard special, but we got there half an hour after it closed. I have not felt such disappointment in a long time. I vowed that we'll be back...tomorrow, actually.

We haven't eaten much fresh seafood yet, Chase, but Wednesday night we'll cook fish and shrimp and tons of other foods for hungry conference attendees (about 100 of them). I'm making appetizers for the chef team that'll prep all day Wednesday: deviled eggs and pimiento cheese. Yum.

Today's photos include yet another lighthouse, and the contraption that's responsible for bringing us here: a floating causeway, one of the projects Ned's been working to design.

1 comment:

  1. The drive route seems fabulous, and the pictures of the lighthouses are great!!! Umh... maybe NC wouldn't be a bad state to live after all ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think and who you are...