Sunday, May 23, 2010

It's not that bad!

And it really isn't that bad. Here's the medical update promised to friends and family:
After presenting my case at a conference (yes, I'm now a subject for medical science!), the conclusion by my oncologist and her peers was that further treatment is necessary. They've decided to do radiation, because it's the most common approach to treating the sort of brain tumor that I have. Yes, I still have a little bit of it in my head. Gross, I know. There was a minor meltdown after seeing that on the scans, but I just keep reminding myself that all my physicians say that the prognosis is good and there's no need for worry. So, I try not to worry. I have a great doctor in Jackson who is doing my radiation in Vicksburg, which means that I do NOT have a two hour round trip each day for a ten minute treatment. That, in itself, is a major victory. If all goes as planned, the six week radiation cycle they've prescribed will be the end of dealing with sickness because it'll kill the residual tumor cells, and then I'll just have regular scans (every three months) to check and make sure that nothing's growing where it shouldn't be. Side effects from radiation to the brain are commonly headaches, nausea, tiredness, hair loss, and loss of appetite. One week into things, I've had four of the five side effects (no nausea, thankfully, and hair loss isn't yet to the visible stage), but all are mild. Tiredness will grow stronger as we get later into the radiation cycle, because that's a cumulative side effect, but we have moms and moms-in-law waiting on the sidelines to stay with us and help with David when the need arises. And we also have Aunt Angie, David's nanny, who is like a mother to all of us. Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes. The twenty-five remaining treatments countdown is on...

7 comments:

  1. No, it's not that bad when you have that little face to look at every day :-) Think of it like this: you're getting the major crap out of the way so that you can spend the rest of his life doing the fun stuff.
    You're a champ and you can do this! Make a metal sign that says "Play Like a Champion Today" and hit it as you run out the door to every appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary Beth -- Glad the radiation treatments haven't been to terrible for you. Have you talked to Sarah Murray about this? She could give you a lot of insight, being 4 years out from her tumor removal and having been through radiation and chemo. :) Let me know - I can hook you guys up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Beth,
    I totally didn't know you were dealing with this... but I'll be praying for you!! Also, My friend Callie has been undergoing treatment for a brain tumor as well. She has a great blog called Callie's Journey, I thought you might want to check it out: http://calliesjourney.blogspot.com/

    - Kacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update MB... we're thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Beth, thank you for the update. Your positive attitude will carry you far. Know that we're pulling/praying for you.
    Much love to you three.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul ( & Joy) MARTINMay 24, 2010 at 11:12 PM

    This ain't nothing that you cannot and will not WHIP !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth in Valdosta says,: I am keeping all of you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think and who you are...